It’s almost go time for all things #BIT16, and as a member of the conference committee, I’m bursting with anticipation and excitement for all things social related to the Bring IT, Together conference.
If you have never participated in any of our FREE social events before, I challenge you to come out and play with us! #BIT16 didn’t become the BEST ed-tech conference in Ontario over night and with little to no planning! No way! Instead, we’ve purposefully planned ways to bring you and your peers together throughout the conference to mix, mingle, make connections, laugh, and grow together!
Tell me that there’s not something below from our slew of social events that doesn’t have you intrigued or wanting to participate! I bet, rather, that you’ll find two or three that you’re curious about! We want to see you there! Come, stop by, say, “hello!” We would LOVE to meet you in the flesh!
So, here’s the list, and it’s lengthy, but we’ll guarantee there is something for everyone!
Wednesday, November 9th, 2016:
- MEGA-MINGLE → At 7-11 p.m. on Wednesday evening, our welcome reception and Mega-Mingle will take place in the lobby of the SCCN. Stop by to pick up your registration package or chat about the day’s learnings from the Mega Minds On Media event held earlier in the day. Regardless, we can’t wait to welcome you with a FREE beverage to start your #BIT16 conference!
- HyperJam Open Mic Session → From 7-11 p.m. on Wednesday evening, join us at the mega-mingle welcome reception for our first annual HypeJam! All singers and players are welcome to join; a sign-up sheet will be on site, so no need to pre-register! Sing or play, on your own, or with the house band, the fabulous Niagara #BIT Players. Every participant will have a chance to perform 3 songs, and be eligible for participation prizes, courtesy of Long and McQuade, at the end of the session. How cool is that?
Thursday, November 10th, 2016:
- #BIT16 Reads Book Club Breakfast →7:30 a.m. – 8:15 a.m. Our Thursday morning begins with our #BIT16 Reads book club breakfast, provided through a partnership with TeachOntario and the Ontario School Library Association and facilitated by Alanna King (@aking). Looking forward to seeing you for breakfast and a byte!
(Provided for participants of the #BIT16 Reads Book Club only)
- Thursday ‘AfterSLAM’ Reception → After a full day of learning and listening to all those awesome SLAM sessions, it’s time to unwind with a FREE drink, a FREE appetiser or two, and join new friends or old to mix and mingle. All of this excitement will happen in the Learning Hall, where you will join the #BIT16 Conference Committee for prizes and a social time. Be sure to take advantage of the free beverage ticket (given at the ‘AfterSLAM’ reception in the Learning Hall) and prize ticket for your chance to win some pretty cool prizes! 5 – 7 p.m.
- BIT’s Got Talent Contest → Do you sing or play an instrument? Then register for FREE for BIT’s Got Talent, your chance to show off your talent and win valuable prizes (gift certificates valued at up to a $100) courtesy of Long and McQuade! You can perform alone, or have the Niagara #BIT Players back you up. Just register using the link below, and let us know which 3 songs you would like to perform. Winners will be selected by the audience, so bring your friends! Contestants must register online to be eligible for the contest prizes. Thursday, November 10th from 5-7pm in the Learning Hall at the Scotiabank Convention Centre.
- Breakout EDU Join Sylvia Ducksworth, Kim Pollishuke, Sandra Chow, and Leslie Boerkamp at 7:30 p.m. in the Peller Estates Ballroom C for a social evening that will be unlike anything you’ve ever experienced before! These ladies will have you completing a series of challenges, revealing clues, and unlocking mysteries in order to win the Breakout EDU game. This unique, fun, and creative game is only available to the first 100 registrants. Don’t delay and register in CVENT today! (Or if you haven’t registered yet, go back into CVENT and edit your conference details!)
- BIT Minecraft Party → Starts at 8:30 p.m. and runs until midnight! Gumby and other members of the GamingEDUs community will host their fourth annual Minecraft LAN Party in Niagara Falls on the evening of Thursday, November 10th, 2016. Stop by Peller Estates Ballroom B at the Scotiabank Convention Centre for some crazy Minecraft fun! Details in Lanyrd
- Social time at Jimmy Buffet’s Margaritaville → 8 p.m. – 12 a.m. Join us for a condensed discounted menu of appetisers and house favourites while #BIT16’s EdTech Karaoke Party is taking place. Perhaps you sing or can carry a tune? Whether you’re an avid singer or someone who simply likes to toe-tap along to favourites of the past or present, the #BIT16 EdTech Karaoke Party is for you! Prizes available to be won for those who participate and are in attendance. This party brings conference attendees together to continue to network outside the convention centre!
Friday, November 11th, 2016:
- Rise and shine it’s exercise time! Run, walk, and be active with Alanna and Leslie! Join us at 7a.m. at the Marriott Gateway on the Falls. We will strut our stuff through the streets of Niagara Falls and venture down to the falls on our fun run/walk. You don’t need to be an olympian to join us, but if you are, we’ll look forward to your company anyway! We promise to have you back in time for your last day of the #BIT16 conference.
And that my dear #BIT16 friends are the planned and posted social events for this year’s conference. Plus, we have two more opportunities to play and win that we’ll surprise you with on Thursday and Friday mornings before our keynotes! Oh, what could it be?
Leaving you guessing,